State Sen. George Latimer announced his endorsement of the Peekskill Democratic City Committee’s candidates running in Tuesday’s primary, saying that Colin Smith, Ramon Fernandez and Vanessa Agudelo have a positive agenda for Peekskill.
“Local government is closest to the people and this slate’s positive agenda will position Peekskill to lead Westchester as a progressive and visionary city that denounces the harsh, partisan politics and anti-family tactics of the Trump ideology,” he said outside of the One Peekskill campaign headquarters Saturday afternoon.
• County executive candidate to endorse Peekskill Democratic candidates Saturday
• Segarra and Sullivan will not participate in Saturday’s NAACP Candidates Forum
• Video: Peekskill City Employees Union endorses Catalina ticket Friday at City Hall
• Appeals court upholds reversal: Segarra and Sullivan will compete for Democratic line Sept. 12
• Peekskill Democrats: Court decision enables Republicans to ‘deceive and deprive voters’
• Appellate Court: Catalina running mates Sullivan and Segarra CAN run in Sept. 12 Democratic primary
• Judge: Segarra and Sullivan on the Democratic line? Not so fast!
The candidates were happy to receive support from Latimer, who himself will be competing in the Sept. 12 primary against County Legislator Ken Jenkins for the Democratic nod to take on County Executive Rob Astorino in the fall. Republican-endorsed Luis Segarra and Robert Sullivan—registered Democrats—are competing in the primary against Smith, Fernandez and Agudelo.
“The support of State Senator George Latimer, who has a strong progressive record in both Westchester and Albany, is positive proof that there is only one group of candidates that are true progressive Democrats running for mayor and Common Council. And the fact that while he has his own campaign to run he is taking the time to support this campaign should be a sign of how important this race is to the future of Peekskill and Westchester County.”
“George’s endorsement is particularly significant because he has been a true leader in helping support working and middle class families in Westchester and New York. In Albany he helped to raise the minimum wage to make sure people can continue to afford living in New York and has been a true champion to pass the Women’s Equality Agenda and New York State’s own Dream Act. We are proud to have his backing.”
“Getting George Latimer’s endorsement is like getting the progressive seal of approval. His willingness to come to Peekskill and stand by true Democrats bodes well for this City and its relationship with both our legislative leaders in Albany as well as Westchester County.”
Editor’s Note: This information was provided by the George Latimer for County Executive campaign.